As an Amazon Associate we can earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. This commission doesn't affect products prices.
Prednisone and Prednisolone are steroids that lower inflammation and suppress the body immune system. They can be advantageous in treating numerous illness and disorders, however should be offered at low doses for short period of time to reduce any negative impacts. They may likewise be used to help in treatment of Addison’s disease, cancers, shock, and nerve system disorders.
What Does Prednisone Prednisolone Used For in Pets
Prednisolone is a corticosteroid known as a glucocorticoid. Corticosteroids are meant to look like a naturally taking place hormonal agent produced in the adrenal cortex, cortisol. Corticosteroids act on the immune system by blocking the production of substances that trigger inflammatory and immune reactions.
In your family pet’s liver, prednisone is transformed to prednisolone. Animals with severe liver issues are not able to make this conversion, and numerous believe that these animals ought to just be given prednisolone.
Store in a securely sealed container at space temperature level.
It is essential that you do not miss out on any dosages of this drug and you must offer it at about the very same time every day at even periods. If you do miss out on a dosage, offer the dosage as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dosage, skip the missed out on dosage, and continue with the routine schedule. Do not provide the pet two doses simultaneously.
Side Effects and Drug Reactions in Dogs and Cats
Prednisone/Prednisolone might lead to these side effects:
- Increased drinking and urination
- Modified habits
- Inhibited growth in young animals
- Diabetes after extended use
- Cushing’s disease after prolonged use
- Ulcer of the gastrointestinal tract
- Postponed healing
Prednisone/Prednisolone might react with these drugs:
- Rimadyl (or other NSAID).
- Other steroids.
- Some antibiotics.
- Drugs that might cause ulcers in the digestive tract.
Do not give this drug to pregnant or diabetic pets.
- Drug Name: Prednisone Prednisolone
- Common Name: Prednis-Tab®
- Drug Type: Corticosteroid
- FDA Approved: Yes
- Used For: Inflammation, Cancer, Addison’s disease, Nervous system disorders
- Species: Dogs, Cats
- Administered: Tablets, Oral liquid, Injectable
- How Dispensed: Prescription only