When the dog is scratching the carpet, this is considered a devastating habits and ought to be corrected. Nevertheless, in order to remedy this behavior, it is important to understand the causes why the dog is showing this habits.
Scratching the Carpet
Dogs may intuitively scratch the carpet, especially when preparing to go to sleep, as they prefer to mark the spot. You might observe that the dog will return to the very same spot when he wishes to lie down again.
Nevertheless, the scratching behavior might end up being a fixation and this can be a problem.
Causes of Dog Scratching Carpet
Dogs might scratch, as this is an instinctive behavior, however if your dog has actually been trained not to scratch, this behavior can suggest that the dog is stressed or has a medical problem.
Most of the times, dogs are scratching excessively when they are affected by stress. Stress can be set off by numerous factors:
- Separation anxiety, if the dog has been separated from a previous owner or even if you are away from home for numerous hours
- A disease, which can cause pain and stress the pet. Any sort of medical issue can cause stress, so a veterinary examination is had to discover the exact issue
- Changes in the home (i.e. rearranging the furnishings, buying new carpets)
- A brand-new family pet in the house or a new family member
Scratching the carpet is a habits that might also be due to the fact that the dog is tired and he needs to spend his energy. A bored dog may likewise scratch other areas in the home as well as his own skin.
How to Eliminate Excessive Scratching
The problem triggering the scratching habits needs to be developed. If there are no medical issues affecting your dog and he is not bored or worried, you can train your dog not to scratch the carpet anymore by teaching him that this is not an appropriate habits. Use a sharp No and offer a long time out for your dog, so he realizes that you do not concur with him scratching the carpet.
However, if there is a medical issue triggering this habits, the dog needs treatment. The treatment will differ inning accordance with each medical issue in part.
If your dog is impacted by stress, this can be treated with a number of methods:
- Spending more time with your family pet and having fun with him, especially if the stress is because of separation stress and anxiety
- Alternative treatments such as aromatherapy
A dog that is tired ought to get more activities and toys to chew. Firstly, you will have to teach your dog that scratching the carpet is not a preferable behavior which he can spend his energy on chewing or scratching other toys or scratching posts, if required.
Likewise, you might wish to give your dog more workout, so that he spends his energy in a positive manner. Consult your vet about your animal’s exercise needs and his diet.
Also read: How to Stop a Dog From Digging