Hemoptysis is a disease characterized by expectoration of blood from the respiratory tract. The sputum may contain both blood and bloody discharge – mucus or pink colored liquid. There may also be a stream of red discharge from the mouth. If a pet has these symptoms, it may indicate the onset and development of many serious diseases.
There are many causes that affect the appearance of hemoptysis.
- The development of hemoptysis begins on the background of pre-existing viruses and diseases. Against the background of pre-existing diseases such as thrombolysis, pulmonary infarction, pulmonary edema, bronchitis, pneumonia, tumor.
- Injuries, decreased blood clotting.
- Tumors, parasites.
The main feature of hemoptysis is that it can be confused with other symptoms, such as bleeding from the nasal passages or with bloody vomiting. It is important to be able to distinguish these signs from hemoptysis, as the health and full life of the pet depends on the owner being able to correctly recognize the symptoms.
If you notice your pet hemoptysis, it is best to see a veterinarian, as it can be a symptom of various diseases. It is almost impossible to find out on your own what the cause of the bloody discharge is, as there may be many causes of hemoptysis.
If you treat the occurrence of hemoptysis carefully, you can prevent the development of many serious diseases!
Coughing up blood in dogs – treatment
- Isolate the sick animal, give it complete rest and access to clean water at room temperature. It is better to call a doctor at home, so as not to disturb the dog unnecessarily. Try to remember and write down all the accompanying symptoms (runny nose, bloody nose, shortness of breath after exercise, weakness and so on) and the events that caused the dog to cough up blood. For example, he may have swallowed something in the street or he may have been coughing in his sleep for a month or so. This will significantly help the doctor to make the right diagnosis and prescribe the right tests and medications.
- Treatment depends primarily on the cause of your dog’s cough with blood. The most common ones are pneumonia, bronchiectasis and lung abscess. Emergency veterinary care usually uses symptomatic treatment: calcium chloride, vicasol, analgin, etc.
- If the reason that the dog is coughing up blood is pneumonia, this symptom is also joined by a sharp increase in body temperature, shortness of breath, weakness, refusal to eat. Blood does not appear immediately and not in all cases – timely initiated treatment helps to avoid it. Pneumonia is treated with antibiotics and general restorative medications. Very important is a quiet regime and a digestible, but rich in vitamins and nutrients food.
- Bronchiectasia is an infectious disease more often in Siberian leks. The disease is chronic and requires complex treatment (medicines, regime, food, etc.) Other symptoms, besides hemoptysis: wheezing, large amount of sputum, weakness. Diagnosis can only be made after an X-ray.