Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?

0

Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

Your dog asks for handouts, wishing for a roaming scrap to enjoy. But when it comes to sharing your favorite foods with your canine buddy, there’s one treat you have to hold back: chocolate.

The sweet treat can cause health problem as well as death in dogs. Veterinarians say it’s one of the most common causes of dogpoisoning.

Your Dog Ate Chocolate. Now What?

Usually, your dog will vomit on his own. If not, your veterinarian may want you to provide him hydrogen peroxide to make him toss up– 1 tablespoon for every 20 pounds, Wismer states. You can use a turkey baster or a medicine dropper to give him the liquid.

Some animal owners bribe their dog with peanut butter in a bowl and the hydrogen peroxide around the rim, she states, seeing as puppies have the tendency to lick their bowls clean. As soon as your dog throws up, don’t offer him any food or water.

If you think your dog consumed chocolate, do not wait on warning signs, Wismer states. These can take 6 to 12 hours to show up. Symptoms consist of:

The stimulants in chocolate remain in the body a long period of time. In severe cases, symptoms can last as much as 72 hours. Early treatment will assist your dog recover quicker and lower your expenses, Wismer states.

Vets evaluate a dog’s condition then choose the right treatment, says Joseph Kinnarney, DVM. He’s the president-elect of the American Veterinary Medical Association.

The most typical method veterinarians treat chocolate poisoning is to use fluids and IV drugs, he says. For instance, they’ll use a drug called apomorphine to require vomiting, stomach pumping to flush the stomach with fluids, and medicine called triggered charcoal to prevent the chocolate from entering into your dog’s blood.

A lot of dogs survive because of quick-acting owners, states Kinnarney, who’s likewise president of the Reidsville Veterinary Clinic in North Carolina.

The ASPCA’s 24-hour toxin hotline (888-426-4435) gets about 27 calls a day involving dogs and chocolate. “It’s not the No. 1 thing we get calls about, but it’s way up there,” Wismer states.

No Amount of Chocolate Is Safe

Even a bit of chocolate can make your dog ill.

Dark chocolates, baking chocolate, and dry cocoa powder are more dangerous than white or milk chocolate. But 1 ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight might still be lethal.

And unlike many cats, which do not have a craving for sweets, dogs will eat practically anything. They also have no idea when they’re full, Wismer states. “They will eat as much as they can get ahold of. A 10-pound dog can easily eat a pound of chocolate.”

Cocoa Shell Mulch: A Little-Known Danger

Think twice prior to you spread cocoa shell mulch on your home. It’s harmful for family pets, Wismer says– particularly because dogs like its sweet smell.

Use shredded pine, cedar, or hemlock bark instead, the ASPCA suggests.

Share.

Leave A Reply